Science has bestowed many gifts on mankind. Wi-Fi technology is one of them. It was invented in 1999 as a wireless equivalent of Ethernet. This technology enables electronic devices to transmit and receive data over a computer network. This technology is applicable to personal computers, digital audio player, smart phone, tablet, video game console etc. These electronic devices are connected to a wireless network access point in order to allow them to exchange data. The range of the Wi-Fi connection is generally 20 meters. The range could be increased by using numerous contact points. The Wi-Fi standard devices are very popular. Most of the modern computers contain features which allow them to use Wi-Fi devices. Like any other technology, Wi-Fi has some advantages as well as disadvantages. Most of the disadvantages of the wireless connections are due to limitations of the technology. This article discusses them in detail:
- Expediency – In today’s scenario laptops are used extensively. You can use your laptop any where. You can place it on a table; use it while resting on a bed or sofa. In case of wired Internet connection you can have access to the Internet only at a particular location. The wireless connections allow access to the Internet from any convenient location. You don’t have to sit at one particular location for surfing the Internet. You can surf it from any location with in the networking range in your office or home.
- Helps in enhancing productivity– Wi-Fi connections help in ensuring that a person remains connected to his business or work even while travelling or holidaying at a distant destination. Most of the hotels and temporary furnished apartments possess Wi-Fi connections these days. Many restaurants and coffee shops also provide wireless connection facility to their customers at little or no cost.
- Easy to install- Wi-Fi connections are easy to install as they require only one access point. Whereas a wired connection requires the installation of many cables.
- Expandability – If a new employee joins an office then he can have access to the Internet from the existing connection in case of a Wi-Fi connection. Whereas in case of wired connection an additional connection would be required.
- Justifiable cost – The cost of wireless Internet connections is only marginally higher than the wired connections. But wireless connections help in saving costs related to maintenance of physical cables. They also help in preventing complications related to wires
- No requirement of wires- Wi-Fi connections don’t require wiring so they could be used anywhere. They could even be used at places where wiring is not possible. That is why they are used extensively at halls of conferences and international exhibitions.
- Security – Security is another key aspect in which Wi-Fi connections lack in comparison to other connections. This problem could be solved by applying various encryption technologies. The most popular encryption technologies available are wired equivalent privacy and Wi-Fi protected access. But both these technologies are known to be breakable. Other means that could be used for security are Virtual Private network and Hypertext transfer protocol. But using these technologies leads to higher costs.
- Range- The range of the Wi-Fi networks is extremely limited. The general range of a wireless access point using 802.11b or 802.11g network will have a range of 32 m indoors and 95 m outdoors. Though there are some ways of upgrading the range such as installing upgraded antennas, using directional antennas at the router and remote device. The Wi-Fi connections with 2.4 GHz frequency have a better range than Wi-Fi connections in the 5GHz frequency block. But still the range of Wi-Fi connections is much less when compared with other connections. The range of Wi-Fi technology when applied to mobile phones is also extremely limited. The Wi-Fi technology is also less effective when used in moving vehicles.
- Vulnerable to disruption- Wi-Fi connections are highly susceptible to interruption by other devices which are operating in close proximity. At times the internet speed also gets lowered due to disruption caused by other devices. At times numerous access channels get linked to the same transmission channel leading to clogging. This blockage of channels is extremely common in office buildings or multistoried residential structures due to the presence of multiple Wi-Fi access points. Other devices which are in common use like ISM band devices, microwave ovens, security cameras, Zig bee devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, amateur radio, and blue tooth devices also cause disruption by intercepting the transmission channel.
Pamela is 28 years old writer. She has years of experience in Toronto Furnished, luxury, temporary, rental apartments. She is always wants to share her professional experience with her audience. She regularly writes Guest posts & Articles about Furnished Apartment Rentals,rental furnished apartments etc.